University of Houston Young Alumni
The University of Houston Alumni Association has taken a renewed focus in offering opportunities to our Young Alumni.
The Young Alumni Council was formed to advise UHAA on the best ways to engage our alumni who are 35 and under or have graduated within the last ten years.
Our goal is to offer diverse programs focused around the following areas:
- Community Service
- Professional Networking
- Life After College
- Young Alumni Recognition
- Life Membership
Meet the Council
Darren Randle (’12, MA ’14)
Chair- Young Alumni Council
UH School Info:
- S. Kinesiology (Houston ’12) – Magna Cum Laude
- A. Sport Administration/Management (Houston ’14)
Past Student Involvement:
- UH Letterwinner – FB Manager/Operations (2009 – 2012)
- Frontier Fiesta Director (2009 – 2011)
- Orientation Team Leader (2010 – 2011)
- Cullen Oaks/Bayou Oaks Resident Assistant (2009 – 2011)
- Order of Omega Greek Honor Society Member (2011 – 2012)
- Human Health & Performance Honor Society Member (2010 – 2012)
- Member of Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity
- Interfraternity Council (IFC) Vice President
- Cougar 100 Business (Applied Production Services)
- Cougar Cookers (HLSR Cook-off) Partner
- Tent & Event Rentals Partner of UH Athletics
- Frontier Fiesta Alumni Association Member
- Member of Houston Football 46ers
- Member of Houston Baseball Dugout Club
Darren Randle (’12, MA’14)- Chair
Scott Black (’13)- Vice Chair
Kaitlyn Venable (’12)
Cherika Edwards (’13)
Seante Monique Johnson (’14)
Paul Sierra II (’12)
Edward Carrizales (’13)
Zach Maher (’16)
Mayra Castillo (’19)
Kaitlyn Palividas (’17)
Robert Spencer (’16)
John Dalton (’13)
If you would like to get involved, we are always looking for more volunteers to help on our committees:
Athletics Committee: Working on ideas for how to support athletics through tailgates and watch parties.
Community Service: Working in partnership with the University in an effort to be a good neighbor and help better the schools and schools in the community.
Networking: In addition to the monthly Cougar Power Hour events, we are looking for this committee to think of ways to engage with our Cougar 100 businesses for networking opportunities.
Student Engagement: Creating ways to interact with students to help make the transition into a Young Alumnus a smooth one, when they graduate.
Life After College: This committee would have a focus on setting up educational seminars for Young Alumni. Some of these topics include but are not limited to: buying your first house, cooking classes, planning for retirement…)
Sponsorship: Working with local Cougar friendly businesses to help sponsor events and programs.
To get involved with one of these committees, please CLICK HERE
On October 12th, we hosted our first Young Alumni tailgate prior to the football game against Cincinnati. Thank you to French Corner for providing the food and for Karbach for donating the beer!
And then on January 15th, we partnered with Athletics for Young Alumni night at the Men’s Basketball game, including a pregame happy hour at The Den.
Stay tuned for announcements on upcoming events!
Stay tuned for upcoming events and promotions!
The Young Alumni Council will be partnering up with the Third Ward Initiative for a service day. Stay tuned for more info!
Cougar Power Hour
Cougar Power Hour is a monthly happy hour on the second Wednesday of every month. It’s a casual night for Coogs to come together, catch up and network. In an effort to engage new alumni, the event is moved around to different parts of the city. Come join us for food, drinks and prizes!
Stay tuned for upcoming dates!
We’ve partnered for several Professional Development events with the Hispanic Alumni Association and Bauer Alumni Association on several financial literacy events. Stay tuned for future dates!
The Rising Star Award
The purpose of the Rising Star Award is to recognize and honor motivated young alumni who have excelled beyond the norm early in their careers, or young alumni who exhibit leadership, involvement, and hold key volunteer positions on campus or within the alumni association.
There are two Rising Star Awards – one for service and the other for achievement.
1. The recipient must be an active alumnus (annual donor to UH) for at least three years or a Life Member in good standing.
2. The recipient is being recognized for achievement or service and involvement that occurred by the age of 45.
3. Recipients must have either a graduate or bachelors degree from the University of Houston (main campus) or, in exceptional cases, must be clearly and distinctively identified with UH or the Alumni Association.
4. Alumni and friends cannot be considered during a year when they are candidates for election or re-election to a public office.
5. Current members of the UHAA Board of Directors or their immediate families are ineligible for award.
6. Current board members of The University of Houston Alumni Association Foundation Board and their immediate family are ineligible.
7. Current employees of the University of Houston and their immediate families are ineligible for the award, but exceptions can be made, by unanimous vote of the committee, for performances clearly superior to those normally considered extraordinary.
8. This award may not be conferred in absentia.
Please note the deadline for submission for next spring’s awards is October 15th. Nominations submitted after will be considered for the following year’s event.
CLICK HERE to nominate someone today.
If you’re like most Coogs, your friends, your clubs and your teams form some of your best memories of UH. You can keep those connections alive with a Life Membership. Over 40 alumni associations— and hundreds of events and programs throughout the year — keep Life Members in touch. You and other alumni can meet again to socialize, celebrate and build valuable networks. There’s a group of Cougars waiting just for you. Do you want to start your own business? Or learn how to transform the community around you? Your Life Member friends are there to help. Connect with old friends and create new opportunities with a UH Life Membership.
RECENT GRADUATE | YOUNG ALUMNI (WITHIN THE LAST 10 YEARS )
$750 Individual | $1250 Joint (2-person)
CLICK HERE to join today!
Through the UHAA’s Cougars on Tour travel program, there are specific trips made available to Young Alumni. Stay tuned for our 2021 trip announcements!